CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 6, 2009

Livin' off the land...

For me, life's sweetest joys have always been the simple ones; getting a good deal, relaxing after a hard day's work, being sore from a good workout, harvesting food that I have grown, or cloth diapering--even with its challenges.
We began cloth diapers as soon as our 5 month supply of generously-gifted diapers ran out, and as you can see, we had a bit of a rough start. Russ has reiterated his feelings about these little cloth creations. It is no secret that if it were entirely up to him, we'd be using disposables.


When I was out of town for 3 weeks, I used disposables. It was a nice break but it reminded me of why I have been enjoying the cloth diaper world. It is for the same reason that I love to get up at dawn and go for an invigorating run. It is for the same reason I love to work and sweat out in the yard all day. It is for the same reason I LOVED working out in the wilderness with troubled teens and learning from nature--All of these give some sort of feeling that I am living off the land. I usually rinse the diaper covers out by hand and hang them out to dry. When I need a fresh one, I'll go and get one off of the line out back. It reminds me of when I lived in Vanuatu and we would just go grab some island cabbage out of our garden in the back when we needed it. Last night I just grabbed a huge thing of broccoli out of our garden for dinner and once again had that invigorating 'livin off the land' rush and remembered I wanted to do this post today. Sometimes, for me, convenience is only second to feeling like I REALLY experienced something. Go ahead, call me crazy. Many do.

7 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

Love this!!! And I won't call ya crazy; )

Sara said...

Yay Susie! I see that was a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap that leaked? I'm a huge fan of the Thirsties wraps. They don't have any fabric inside, so you can just wipe them out and put them back on a few times during the day. Plus I haven't had much in the way of leaks. Just my 2 cents if you're looking for some more types to try. I like those for prefolds, and BumGenius makes my favorite pockets by far!

morinsqueen said...

Great post Sus. I miss being there and seeing the diapers and holders hanging on the deck.

Lisa said...

Oh my heck I totally get that awesome feeling every time I eat something from my back yard. It spurs you on to keep at it.

Mariella said...

Sista blong mi, mi glad we mi glad we yu stap mekem samting ia. I tru napkin we oli sakem i gud blong givhan wanwan taem, mi hadwok blong stap wasem napkin mo hanggem mo foldem mo mekem bakegen long nekis dei, hemia nao ol wok we i stap mekem wan mama i hapi mo i lukaot gud long bebi blong hem.
Mi laekem tu we yu stap tingbaot ples blong yumitu. Mi hop se mifala i bin tijim yu wan gud samting blong mekem long ples blong yu. Mi mi lanem plante samting long yu, nating yu no save se wanem...be mi lanem plante.
Mi lavem yu !

Tanya Leigh said...

Yup, I am with ya! - and Coy is usually the first to call me crazy ;)

Paul/Heather said...

you are not crazy. Gardening is the BEST! It is so invigorating (sp?)
I, of course, am with your hubby on the diaper thing-he is a trooper!