CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Focus Simplification Plan

Here is an excerpt from a recent journal entry:

I pray VERY regularly to have help balancing my life. I think I might have received a little answer to that prayer today. I just read a few verses that contain the words "wisdom" and "order". It is apparent to me that this is the Lord's way. I like to do so many things. I am the main one that puts it all on my plate. I was looking at my older neighbor's vegetable garden yesterday, having thoughts of longing and regret that my garden didn't look more like his. I was having regrets that I didn't plant sooner, garden more, or take a gardening class. All of the sudden, in the forefront of my mind--louder than the other thoughts--I thought, "He's in a totally different stage of life than you!!!!! This isn't your season for perfecting gardening. Go ahead and dabble if you like, but stop comparing yourself to others!" I've had little thoughts like that before, but it hit me very profoundly yesterday. Here are a list of things I do/want to do with my spare time (not in order of relevance):

Home improvement projects and tasks, gardening, cleaning, and organization

guitar, piano, singing, harmonica

blogging

making online books/scrapbooks

massage profession

race training

scripture study

learning new recipes, baking all of our bread and granola

serving others

quilting/sewing

Now obviously, things like massage, scriptures, race training and service should and will take up the same amount of time every week. But the other things can definitely take their turns. I had this idea that I can focus on one major thing each month. I can work on those things during naptime and on free evenings where I am not working or spending time with Russ.

So far, I've been doing this for almost all of August. This has been deemed my "home improvement focus month". My house needed recovery after this crazy summer. We've been doing projects and I've been focusing on cleaning too.

It's been really good for me to choose a focus and only hone in on that during non Gracee and Russ time. I feel like it helps me see things in perspective throughout the day, so that instead of running to do a blog post while Gracee plays I will either dream up something for dinner or go play with her. I think Gracee has appreciated having a little more of my undivided attention too.

I might post some pictures of the projects up later. Anyway, thanks for reading, if you stuck with me through this whole thing! I'll keep you posted on my simplification efforts!

3 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

I absolutely love this. It is so true that we are in a season in our lives that some things we may just have to, as you say, "dabble" in. And later when we are in a different season, we can give them more focus and time.
Great reminder. I love your insight--- as always!
<3
em

morinsqueen said...

I can't wait to see the pictures. I agree with Em. You always seem to have such great insight. Love you.

Lisa said...

Thanks. I needed this.