CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mariella--tru fren blong mi


This amazing woman sitting next to me is having a birthday today. I wanted to introduce you to her. I am a better person for her influence in my life. She is a wonderful example of goodness to others, faith that propels her to be better and courage to stand up for what she knows to be right.

She is the wife of the branch president that I served with on my mission. This is how I originally came to know her and her sweet family. We have shared many wonderful spirit-filled conversations at her home. Her and her husband Katimal had the RARE opportunity of not only being sealed in the temple, but they were able to do it in the Salt Lake temple. Her conversion story is sweet and shows her strength. We recorded it on our video camera when I brought Russ to Vanuatu in 2006. The story of her getting to the Salt Lake temple shows Heavenly Father's love and tender watchful care over her.

I am so grateful that the Saints in Vanuatu have a strong example like her. One of my favorite memories of Mariella was the night Russ and I arrived in Vanuatu. I was extremely stressed about planning the trip and I did something that I NEVER do in situations like that---I didn't plan a thing! I mean it, nobody even knew we were coming until the day before and I didn't even let them know when my plane was coming in because I didn't think I deserved the traditional greeting party that our friends there are known for. Mariella caught wind of my coming and in her Mariella way, organized a huge welcoming party at the airport. She wasn't sure when we were coming in so she had my dear friend Rachel Susurup check periodically throughout the day to see which plane we'd be coming from. When she greeted me with a hug and a bissou (kiss) I did get a scolding! She brought us straight to her house and sat us down with a piece of paper. Her and our dear friend Honore Tiasnmal helped us plan out our 12 day adventure. This meant so much to me because words cannot describe how much anxiety I felt about the whole trip. I was excited to see everybody, but completely overwhelmed at the thought of planning it. She took care of it all and made sure that I felt completely at peace.

My mom and I agree that there are many friends that come and go in life. There are also those that come, but they never "go". We like to call them the "true blues". Mariella, you are one of those in my life--a true blue. You are one of those that I will look for when I get to heaven so that I can embrace you and share tears of joy with you. Happy Birthday fren blong mi. Mi lavem yu sista blong mi.

9 comments:

Proudfit Family said...

Yea! I finally found your blog! This is seriously the only way I can keep in touch with people these days! We love and miss you guys- did you get your baby announcement?

Mike and Kris said...

I couldn't help but cry when I read this! She is an amazing woman!! What a blessing to have such great friends in life!!

Lindsey said...

Ok, I just caught up on about a million posts that I missed...where have I been?? I love the anniversary post, and the pics of Gracee. It's so fun to see your beautiful face, too. And no, you don't have to love gigantic baby bows. Can you ever go wrong when you're going for Audrey-Heburn-Look??

Carl and Starla said...

Susie? Oh holy cow! This is Starla! Crazy. I just happened upon your blog which is just random, but I wanted to say hi! You still are so beautiful & have a beautiful family! Congrats! My family blog is private, but if you want to be invited to view it so we can keep up with each other, then you can go to our adoption blog & leave your email in a comment (I have comment moderation so I won't publish it for anyone else to see) & then I can invite you! The address is http://carlandstarla.blogspot.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

Missy said...

Yes, it is great to have true blue friends...what a blessing she must be.

Mariella said...

Susie,
Can't find the words in English so I will tell you in our language:

Wanem yu talem, i mekem mi krae gogo mi nomo save tokok. Mi mas talem se i no gat wan fren blong mi i tokbaot mi olsem mo mi filim tingting blong mi i stap evriwan taem mi ridim hemia. Hemia i nambawan betdei presen blong mi blong laef blong mi. Mi neva selebretem betdei blong mi from anggel blong mi i ded long sem dei ia, be yu mekem se naoia mi glad blong gat betdei ia bakegen. Sista blong mi, sapos yu stap kolosap long mi bae mi hagem yu mo givim yu wan bigfala kis, be bae mi askem Papa blong yumitu long Heven blong Hem i sendem Spirit blong Hem blong i mekem yu filim bigfala glad we i stap long hat blong mi.
Mi lavem yu tru. Yu tru fren blong mi tu!

AJones said...

Kas i had weiblong ridim samting long saed long Vanuatu mo ol famli man blong yumi.Mi harem sori i stap long hat blong mi.Mi wantem koko long wei koko wei be mi tink se mi fraet smol...from wanem...no se...olsem hemi tabumo bae mi spolem...mi no save.mi lavem yu

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

morinsqueen said...

Just seeing her in these pictures I feel a connection. She must really be something special.